Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Reservation Rewards To Buy.com!

Well, I get this phone call from Chase Bank that was evidently triggered from a prearranged notification process that my balance was down to a certain level. Upon investigating this it becomes apparent that a $12 fee has been 'authorized' (sucked) out of my account for over a year!!

Yea, so, when I finally get the telephone number to the so called 'Reservation Rewards' I speak with an individual who obviously has a script to work from and immediately describes WHEN I signed up from Buy.com and that I somehow, during a transaction, authorized 'Reservation Rewards' to begin charging my account the twelve dollars every month.

Since this particular card is on auto-pay and I don't use it often, I don't usually go in and look at the account activity... Shame on me!!

I ended up cancelling the account with 'Reservation Rewards' and have disputed the last charge citing the above as explanation. Shame on Buy.com and others out there, like Fandango.com, who take advantage of such sales 'tactics' or better shenanigans!

When I Googled the term "Reservation Rewards Scam", I discovered many, many other issues with this process of fleecing unsuspecting individuals. I hope Chase Bank and others who authorize such, IMO, fraudulent methods of creating reoccurring payments is taken to task. It was even discovered that some scammers out there have been using the topic of a Reservation Rewards class action lawsuit and a scam in and of itself!!! Jeez.. are we all assumed to be so stupid.

It's my utmost believe that we are not far off from a mandatory id system for ALL online transactions! This wild west nature of cyberspace is getting very hazardous to the wallet's health!

=============================
Update: After investigating the Reservation Rewards site, I did not there were some decent discounts that just might justify a monthly payment. However, when I emailed them as to my frustration of having several hundred dollars taken out of my account, along with the confession of my ignorance, all they could do is quote the times when myself or "someone in my houshold" double opted-in and started the process back in 2008.

I stuck to the notion of hey, here's a chance to possibly improve their system and keep me as a potential customer.

Well, Mike, replied back to my request of giving back the expire points (credits I never knew I had) and immediately shut my account down and said you can call to claim a $25 debit card and that 4 months of the $12 payments would be refunded!

Really, all I wanted was to simply get some back credit and continue to maybe try the service out that I payed well over $300 for.

On December 1st, Mary noted this blog post and again gave me their record of how my email was traced to satisfy the process to start billing my card the monthly, but she seemed somewhat sincere in her approach to understand a frustrated customer.

Hat's off to such methods... We aren't sure as to whether we'll try Reservation Rewards again, but I will talk with Mary and see what we can work out!

Just for the Record Reservation Rewards is a pretty decent discount club, just be aware of the monthly fees and use those credits!!

2 comments:

Mary o said...

Hello Rob:

I just read your post and it's important to me that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved. I will send you a private email with some information that I hope will address your concerns and resolve this situation to your satisfaction. In the meantime, you can contact me directly at mary@reservationrewards.com. If you contact me directly, please reference this post.

Thanks,
Mary

Rob said...

Will do Mary... I work a busy IT job, but will make an attempt this Friday...